5.02.2006

The Promises We Keep


During this part of our ceremony Herb whispered: "Wow, that's a lot of salt." To which I replied (either audibly or in my mind. I don't remember - I was the bride so I don't have to remember!), "Well, it's a big commitment!"

The final part of Herb's wedding vows to me:
"I vow to laugh with you, sing off-key with you, boogie with you, cry with you, celebrate with you, make babies with you, walk in the park with you, nap with you, make decisions with you, tickle you, travel with you, and share my entire life with you until death do us part!"

It is so easy to get caught up in looking for big indicators of his love for me. But as I re-read these vows today, I realize that he shows me that he loves me all the time. Just the other night, we laid on our bed, and sang (off-key of course!) through the script of the musical RENT. It was so sweet, so simple, so unplanned. . . but so romantic and so saturated with Herb's vows. Saturated with Herb's heart.

So we laid there, on our regular bed in our regular house, after a night at church, after onion rings at Spanky's and before Grey's Anatomy. In the middle of our normal life, we lived our vows, singing:

"There is no future. There is not past. I live this moment. As my last. There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

And as a sidenote: regarding the lame date you went on a few weeks ago, Kelly - straight men DO like musical theatre! You go girl! That man was not worth your while! But you already knew that! And that is reason 238 why I love you.

And as another sidenote: The blue behind us in this picture is not stained glass . . . it is Colorado's autumn indigo night sky. How lovely!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger cara harjes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:54 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

what do you mean, mel?

8:21 AM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger hintofdisaster said...

I gotta stop reading the comments on your blog, Cara.

12:36 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

so so sweet.
on of my favorite moments ever with john was soon after we met. we sat on the floor singing whatever hymn came in our minds. harmonies and all. it was magic.

12:56 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

jennifer coomer . . .
how fun to be making a random "virtual" friend.
is john your man?

4:31 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

well, aren't you the little braggart? "look at me look at me - i had good sex last night!" . . . that's okay . . . I did too! :)

5:15 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

ummmm, good point. i take back all implied, precieved, or unintended sarcasm. and don't forget, "domestic godess, mother of a toddler, and self-employed diva" . . . that all takes a lot out of a gal!

10:19 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

that's because you were busy mothering, wifing, and selling.

10:00 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

i'd like to point out that whenever the topic of s-e-x arises on this blog, it can always be traced back to mel. hmmmm.

9:04 AM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

hey hey. i check your blog daily. i do.

2:20 PM, May 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home