4.14.2006

The Man Keepin' Us Down


I called Old Navy today to cancel my credit card. When pressed to share a reason for my (personal) decision, I stated, "I just got married and now I am on my husband's account." After clarifying that my husband does indeed have an Old Navy account (read: we will still get your money, just with a different account number) I was told I had a "respectable reason for closing the account" and that it has been "taken care of".

Gee, thanks for approving of the way we choose to manage our finances.

Can you imagine what he might have said if my reason was, "I am trying to cut back on my consumer habits because I am uncomfortable spending hundrads of dollars on clothes I don't need when children are starving and dying of AIDS in third world countries around the globe"???? I doubt that would qualify as a "respectable reason" for closing my account.

Our world is jacked up.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger peanutgallery said...

Well of course not Cara. Because if you stop buying clothes, then where are those AIDS children going to work? You really have to think globally.

1:32 PM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

gosh PG, thanks for the reforming my distorted cognition on the matter.

2:17 PM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger bansheewigs said...

i remember when we didn't have old navy. creepy.

4:33 PM, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home