3.28.2006

Not Your Mamma's Flank Steak

Growing up, Herb and I both had our fair share of meat that was, shall we say . . . overcooked. And now, because my mom reads this blog and told me that if I say mean things about her that she will come to Denver (walking barefoot in the snow if necessary) and put me over her knee and give me a spanking on my bare butt . . . we will stop talking about our mothers! You can contact me personally if you would like the address of the secret blog where I write about all of my mom issues.

I will say, however, that in the past few years, Herb and I have rediscovered the joy of eating pork and steak. Tender. Yummy. Meat.

Enjoy this one . . . it is a great way to impress a date or your in-laws or the rock stars next door because it is oh so easy and oh so tastey all at the same time!

WARNING: If you intend to be . . . um, intimate with your spouse after this meal . . . be sure to wear gloves or wash your hands real well after handeling the jalapeno pepper. I have given this recipie to many many people. One of them (who will remain unnamed) reported that the meal continued to add a little "spice" to their marriage throughout the whole night . . . if you know what I mean. Now, we are all about spice in marriage here at the Harjes Haus, but this just doesn't sound safe. As an alternative, get those hands real clean and then check out www.themarriagebed.com for a biblical & biological perspective on keeping the flame going that won't precipitate an ER visit!

And now, the recipie:

Flank Steak with Cilantro-Almond Pesto

From Cooking Light Magazine

Ground almonds thicken this lively herb sauce. The pesto is also good as a spread for burgers and sandwiches, or as a pizza sauce. Most of the fat here is monounsaturated.

3/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeƱo pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt (I use fat-free sour cream)
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Prepare grill.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until finely chopped (about 15 seconds). Add yogurt and juice; process until smooth.

Grill steak 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve steak with pesto. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and about 1 tablespoon pesto)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 209(47% from fat); FAT 10.8g (sat 3.9g,mono 4.9g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 24.6g; CHOLESTEROL 57mg; CALCIUM 36mg; SODIUM 152mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 2.4g

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home