11.15.2006

Paper Hugs

Last week I spent some time in a groovy home-grown book shop. Love those. With their carefully thought out window displays. And their creaky wooden floors. So unpretentious. So NOT trying to be both a big-time chain while maintaining small town charm. The woman at the register . . . writing down purchases in a little spiral notebook. Sigh.

While I was there, I wrote down some titles for a new project Herbie and I are going to try out. We are each going to pick out a book (hopefully from different vantage points) about the same president. Then we are going to discuss it . . . and then pick out things that happened during his presidency and read books about those things.

I also spent a long time in the cozy back of the store. Pulling out my favorite old books . . . the ones my mom read to me. The ones my kindergarten teacher read to me. Some of them so old that my mom and kindergarten teacher were read these books as little ones. With two friends pregnant, and my slowly growing desire to start a family of our own (someday) . . . I wrote down the titles of my favorites.

Enjoy!



The Runaway Bunny *** Guess How Much I Love You *** Jam Berry *** Where the Wild Things Are *** Alexander and the No Good, Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Day *** Sylvester and the Magic Pebble *** Amelia Bedillia *** Ramona Quimby *** The Very Hungry Cattepiller *** Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka *** Caps for Sale *** Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel *** blueberries for Sal *** Ricki Ticki Timbo *** corduroy *** Popcorn *** Paddington Bear *** Angelina Ballerina *** Each Peach Pear Plum *** The Mitten *** The Velveteen Rabbit *** What Do You Do With a Kangaroo *** There is a Monster at the end of the Book *** Are You My Mother *** Make Way for Ducks *** Another Mother *** Bread and Jam for Francis *** Brown Bear Brown Bear *** Goodnight Moon *** Eloise *** Stone Soup *** Madeline *** Make Way for Ducks ***


What were YOUR favorite children's books?

What are you reading right NOW?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

I *LOVE* the president book idea! Very very much. Brillant!

And I LOVE Paddington Bear. He's one of my favorites. AND...my mother's maiden name is Addington. So we've always called him P. Addington Bear.

7:32 PM, November 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the young children's books I love have come from reading to my own kids...I don't remember books from my own childhood much. However here are some of the ones I love:

Young children's books:
Anything Dr. Seuss
Corduroy
I Love You Forever
Good Night Moon
Guess How Much I Love You
The Wind in the Willows


Older Children's Books:
The Betsy Series (these are pretty old)
Henry Huggins and Beezus and Ramona
Where the Red Fern Grows
Little House on the Prairie

Currently Reading:
Charlotte's Web (I wanted the kids to read it before we see the new movie)
Irrisistable Revolution (this is the one I am reading that is causing me much angst)

4:33 AM, November 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also remembered:

The Box Car Children
and
The Giving Tree

*thanks for this little trip down memory lane. I'll probably be coming up with great kids books all day now! What fun!

5:25 AM, November 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, how fun, children's books!

my faves were/are:
the boxcar children
caddy woodlawn
all ramona quimby books
the cricket in times square
the red pony
brown bear, brown bear (according to my mother--i started "reading" w/this one)
the berenstein bears series
little house on the prairie
the girl with the silver eyes
shel silverstein--'nuff said.
there's a bat in bunk five...i could go on forever. thanks for this trip down memory lane, cara!

love, leida

8:43 AM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger Dawn said...

Chicka, Chicka, Boom Boom!
The Kissing Hand
The Tale of Three Trees
Books by Sandra Boyton
A Porcupine Named Fluffy
The Loud Family Moves In
The Monster at the End of this Book
Frog and Toad Books

Just a sampling of our many favorites!

8:03 PM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

dawn,
i have used There is a Monster at the End of this Book with my counseling clients for a long time. It is such a cool illustration for them when they are scared to go "deep" in therapy, for fear of what they will find. reality, they will only find themselves. "OH! Look! The monster at the end of this book is just ME - lovely, cuddley, old Grover!"

Love it!

Also bought What to Do with a Kangaroo to use with clients when talking about boundaries. but have not quite figured out how to use it b/c in the end, all of the animals won't leave so she just invites them to stay with her . . . in her bed. needs a little tweeking before i use that with sexual trauma victims! :)

7:24 AM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger peanutgallery said...

The Monster at the end of this Book! I loved that book. And Are You My Mother.... that title still enters family jokes all the time. Right now I am reading a book called the Kite Runner. Barely started it but it's about and Afghan boy, heard it's great. Totally outside my normal genre.

2:08 PM, November 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home