6.12.2006

Tough Toenails!


Today I overheard what appeared to be a mother and her grown son in conversation:
He said, "I'm NOT borrowing problems, I just . . . "

I love it! If I may be so bold as to fill in the blanks, I like to imagine this is a phrase that the mother has been using for decades to remind her son not to create unnecessary drama in his life. What a wonderful gift it must be, as a parent, to create ridiculous and annoying catch phrases and then inundate your unsuspecting children with them. And when Herb and I have children some day, I will do the same because, well, "I'm the grown up and you're the kid . . . "

Our kids have no idea what they are getting themselves into! Well, it would be odd if they did understand what they are getting themselves into, considering they are currently imaginary.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cara harjes said...

mel -
i think "borrowing problems" means making other people's concerns your own.

12:32 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Dawn said...

In one of my favorite episodes of Spongebob Squarepants, Spongebob tells Gary, "You will do what I say when I say!" This was one of my most often used phrases with the kids prior to this. How pathetic is that? I am so cliche that Spongebob is using my material!

Dawn

7:16 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh, Herb, I forgot to tell you thanks for raving about me!

Dawn

7:17 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

I'm going to venture to guess that the mother is Southern. Sounds like something we'd say.

There are a few funny sayings that my mom has used over the years. One being "I'm going to haul off and slap you." Which she'd never actually do. Another one was "That's what I know." As in "I already know the answer to the question I'm asking but I wanted you to own up to what you did and say it outloud." I wrote a song using that line.

My grandmother was famous for "Great day in the morning!" and "Good night nurse!"

9:15 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger peanutgallery said...

I was at the San Diego zoo one summer during college and this mom with 7 boys (7!) all dressed the same in blue/red striped polos looked at her boys who were starting to act up and so matter-of-factly said "Can you please pretend like you have some sense." My friend and I burst out laughing. So far that is my favorite parent quote.

10:02 AM, June 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home