4.21.2008

the bar that doesn't even need a title to introduce it (or posts that cara is too tired to give proper titles to)

last week i was at my friend natalie's house.
eager to get over there to cast her beautiful pregnant belly,
i managed to skip dinner.
mostly because i had grown tired of
my detox diet friendly take out choice:
chicken, salsa, guacamole, and rice
from chipotle.
don't get me wrong, i was greatful to have something
so delicious to indulge in while on such a strict diet.
but i had induldged one too many times
and it was no longer appealing.
so i showed up to natalie's house starving.
not only was i starving, i tend to be picky.
so i wasn't even interested in most of the foods i was offered
that i could eat within the confines of the diet.
then dave (her husband) offered me
what i will forever more refer to as
"nirvana in bar form".

ladies.
gentlemen.
i present you with: the larabar.

high fiber
high protein
packed full of nothing but fruits and nuts
never cooked (for all you raw food junkies out there)
gluten free
dairy free
soy free
vegan friendly
and
kosher

perhaps most shocking,
it doesn't taste like cardboard, poop, or toes.

i mean seriously, it seems to good to be true.
but unless i grow a third arm or spontaneously combust,
i simply can't imagine what could be wrong with these beauties.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

i like those too! they were handing them out by the handful at the health/fitness expo before the half marathon... i need to get me some more of those!

7:57 PM, April 21, 2008  
Blogger Rhi said...

amazing.
i need to try these.

7:04 AM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger TaMs* said...

apple pie larabar is a dream come true.
They are delicious.
Way to go on the detox! You've been at it for awhile, woo hoo!

7:38 AM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger stacymac said...

mmm..apple pie and ginger snap are delish. cherry pie, too. they're often on sale at sunflower market. i am not obsessed. i like them because they are a healthy version of cookie dough or batter to me. i miss you! hoping to be in denver mid-june....

7:51 AM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger Chicken Legs said...

I'm thinking of contacting Lara to see if she could also come up with some magical gin that has no health side-effects. Alas, I think she has better things to do...
-Dave

9:50 AM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger kelli said...

That's funny--I hate those things. I think it's the texture. I have a whole box sitting in my cupboard that will never be eaten, but I feel to guilty to throw away. I should send them to you...but let's be honest, I never will...it's too much work.

5:35 PM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger Kelly said...

My husband and I worked at the Children's Hospital Courage Classic (a bike tour), two summers ago, at the refueling station. By far, the larabar was our most popular item--we ran out of those way before the bananas and bagels. Also, maiden name is Beck--although, I do know Katie Trettle, whom I believe you were thinking of =]

3:00 PM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger hintofdisaster said...

When I saw the title " the bar that doesn't even need a title to introduce it," I thought of the Empty Bottle here in Chi-town, and thought you'd introduce your favorite place in Denver to enjoy a fine lager (or whatever suits your tastebuds). Alas, you did not.

10:29 PM, April 30, 2008  
Blogger hintofdisaster said...

I also just noticed that Dave mentioned both booze and the word "alas" in his comment as well. Bravo!

10:31 PM, April 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home