1.01.2008

haPpY NeW yeARs dAy!


i hope you had a wonderful holiday
and that you are returning to the daily
with a sense of restoration
joy
peace
and focus.

herb and i have enjoyed many days
of lounging and just being together.
it has been so nice to stay home
and just enjoy our home and each other.

i have been going back and forth
with the resolution thing.

typically, for me, these resolutions tend to be
more about finding all of the things wrong
with my life
my self
my body
my work ethic
my self-expression . . .

and less about creating a life full of
freedom
and joy
and creativity
and service to others
and being the woman god made me to be . . .

this year, i am focusing on two things:

1) taking inventory of the things i value
and trying to make sure i am intentionally
making choices every day that reflect these values.

2) saying good-bye to things that get in the way of
accomplishing goal #1. in my case, right now,
there is one major thing,
and that major thing is watching television.

SO, for the New Year,
i will not be watching TV.
for a year.
yep.
and you can guess that means
i might be blogging a little bit more.
mostly, i am sure, about not watching TV.

i am choosing not to see it as
"giving up TV",
but rather,
making space in my brain,
heart,
and calendar
to make sure that i am living a life on the outside
that reflects the life going on in the inside.


how about YOU???
what is your take on resolutions?
are you making any this year?

8 Comments:

Blogger kelli said...

I think it's a great idea. It has just happened so that I haven't watched TV in over a month. Not intentionally, it just happened. I had a busy day or whatever and I just didn't turn it on and I haven't missed it one bit. I bet you'll find the same thing.

9:20 PM, January 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm going to sleep. a lot. me and my bed are going to be good friends. some people might call this laziness. i say it's a step in the right direction for me. a girl just can't function when she's not well rested.

11:30 PM, January 01, 2008  
Blogger Rhi said...

that is quite some resolution you have there!
believe it or not i actually watch very little tv. despite my addiction to heroes and home and away ;) after a while, you just kind of forget about it, you find yourself staring at that strange box in the corner thinking, "uh, i'm sure i used to do something with that."
you are, however, allowed dvds, yes?
xx

2:39 AM, January 02, 2008  
Blogger BJ said...

I think that is a fantastic opportunity! I am also not a fan of resolutions, but I have decided to consciously not watch TV at night. I got cable about 6 months ago for the first time since my freshman year of college and it's ridiculous how much time I spend watching stupid crap on TV that doesn't even matter. And it takes me away from playing my guitar, chatting with friends, spending time wtih my youth girls, keeping my life organized.... it really makes me so lazy and dull. So, I as well, have decided to quit. I think it will be nice. :)

One thing about TV that I really don't like, apart from the making me lazy thing, is that it seems to really allow me time to reflect on things I don't have. I don't have the perfect boyfriend who always saves the day and says the right thing as the sappy music plays softly in the background. I don't have the perfect body that looks fantastic in the designer clothes, which by the way, I don't have the money to buy. I don't have the perfect plan in life to make sure everything turns out just right. And when I see all these things on TV, I feel somewhat less for not having them. When in reality, my life is lovely. absolutely lovely. And free of so much of the drama crap you see on TV. (most of the time anyway) :)

all that to say, I think it is a fantastic idea and I'm excited to see what creativity is birthed through the extra time. :)

8:20 AM, January 02, 2008  
Blogger kelli said...

BJ, I don't know you, but I like you. You just put into words everything I feel about TV.

10:01 AM, January 02, 2008  
Blogger Tina said...

eeps....that is some resolution, a very good one though. Takes a lot of stregnth to not watch tv as it's so easy to just fall back on the couch and zone out. Although that is way beyond my reach ;) I would like to read more than watch the boob tube.

8:52 PM, January 05, 2008  
Blogger Kimberly Scott said...

I love your two things...i need to go write mine down. *thinking of a clever way like yours*

5:39 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Shelly Brewer said...

that resolution stinks! and I will come here and update you on all you're missing on TV!! he, he!!!

9:57 AM, January 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home