8.16.2006

Nirvana



There is something about floating in water that makes me so happy. Maybe it is because my childhood summers were spent at the neighborhood swimming pool. Or the fact that many of our vacations were spent at the Lake of the Ozarks or "creekin'" in southern Missouri while staying at our friend's cabin.

About three years ago, my mom and I discovered a delicious treat - the community pool near her home had a small water park, complete with a lazy river. For $7, we could sit on a tube and float for hours as we rested and chatted. Last summer, I discovered Pirates Cove here in Denver. Herb teases me about my adult outlet for my water love. My friend Libby teases me for yelling at the children who get too rowdy and splash me. I blame it on my time working at the treatment center. I still have not gotten the idea that it is my responsibility to discipline rowdy boys out of my head.

I have been hard pressed to convince Herb to join me on the lazy river. But I think deep down inside, he knows what he is missing. After all, as I pack up to head to Pirate's Cove, he says, "Have fun at Nirvana!" He knows. But until recently, he has refused to give into the joy of the Cove. It took the Whitefords visiting with their three children to convince Herb to give it a chance. Guess what? He liked it!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

It's obvious that Herb really likes the "doing the best it can" river (I refuse to call it lazy). Just look at the expression on his face. Absolute joy, spruce up their holidays, and so on and so forth.

7:05 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

looks blessed.

after years of being a camp counselor and summer staff i have to resist the urge to correct people who are younger than me in public. ESPECIALLY at pools when people are running. i'm right there with ya.

8:24 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

matt - i think there is a rule against using inside jokes from te 10th grade on the blog who wasn't there!

jennifer - yes, this is a problem. the things is, sometimes I DON'T resist the urge. i HAVE actually told kids to stop running!

8:34 AM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger cara harjes said...

aw shucks, kelly. thank you kindly.

1:06 PM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger kelli said...

Yeah, he looks like he's hating it!!

10:00 AM, August 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home